Friday, March 7, 2008

Enough Talking, Let's Start Writing

So I have been meaning to start a blog for quite some time now, but it wasn't until my return from New York last week that I felt the need to execute on that inclination. Digital Media Wire hosted their bi-annual Digital Music Forum (this one on the East Coast) with over 70 speakers and 500 attendees. Talk about information overload. I have never felt more mentally exhausted in my life. While running around New York City for three straight days, I heard from and spoke with the founders of mega-digital-music-brands such as mp3.com, iLike, last.FM, and AmieStreet. Although the trip put a significant dent into my pocket, it was everything I could have asked for and more.

Over the last year, I have become heavily intrigued by the power of the internet and Web 2.0's interactivity. When I coupled my passion for music and my infatuation with digitized content, I began to research the digital music space. What I found was very encouraging. Although many believe the music industry is in ‘chaos’, the truth is music is thriving like never before. The accessibility channels are as great as ever and music consumption is at all-time highs.

Once the likes of MySpace and Facebook discovered we could all be ‘friends’, it was only a matter of time before other we used our 'friends' as trusted resources. As UK writer Jemima Kiss recently wrote, if Web 2.0 was about interaction, Web 3.0 could well be personalization and recommendation. Heck, if that's the case, we’re already in the alpha stages of Web 3.0 as the whole world is getting acquainted with 2.0. Evidenced by the successes of Pandora and last.FM, combining music and recommendations is one of the most useful resources of Web 2.0.

An industry in the midst of chaos is prime for new opportunities. Moving forward, the digital music future looks very bright, and I am excited to be a part of it. In the words of former EMI executive, Ted Cohen's opening Conference remarks, "it's not too late...it's only the beginning!"

No comments: